This is a periodic update from The Point Owners Association, Inc. (POA) Board of Directors of matters that may be of general interest to the community. Please feel free to forward this e-mail to other residents in The Point. Additional information about our neighborhood is available at http://thepointatlkn.com
Benfield Sanitation Services (BSS) Changes
There has been some confusion regarding the NEW Trash and Recycle pick-up schedule. For clarification, BSS recently acquired Lake Norman Sanitation and Trash Unlimited. After these acquisitions took place, BSS simplified the pick-up schedule so trucks are only running in The Point 2 days a week (Mondays and Thursdays) vs. 5 days a week before the purchases took place. In addition to reducing how many days a week BSS trucks are running in The Point, for added convenience, they also wanted to ensure everyone received their trash and recycling pick-up on the same day. From the beginning of The Point to the circle, and then to the left of the circle (Village area) – pick up for BOTH trash and recycle is on Mondays. The Polpis area and south of circle – pick up for BOTH trash and recycle is on Thursday. Note, Recycle is every other week. If you have any questions regarding your specific pick-up day, call BSS directly at 704-872-2668 or visit their website at www.bsstrash.com where you can find the most up to date Trash/ Recycle calendars, the Holiday Schedule and Recycling Program details.
- Every Other Week: BSS has a total of 11,000 recycling customers, all of which are serviced every other week (this is also the accepted practice for Recycling Programs across the country). There were; however, 450 residents in The Point that had weekly recycling services (before the buyout) that have since been adjusted to a bi-weekly schedule. Since China has closed its doors to the majority of the worlds recycling, it has become increasingly difficult for towns, and companies, to operate recycling programs and many have discontinued them all together. A quick google search of the current recycling climate in America will shed a lot of light on what BSS and our community is faced with and why changes are being made in the recycling industry.
- Blue Recycling Bin: BSS is offering all current recycling customers a blue, 96-gallon recycling bin that needs one. BSS prefers recycling customers leverage these blue bins because they are easily recognizable by BSS drivers which reduces missed pickups. The blue bins are also able to be tipped into the back of the truck (rather than having to be picked up by hand), which also makes it safer for the employees. Any current recycling customer that does not have a blue recycling bin and would like one, please call BSS directly at 704-872-2668.
Please note, allowable recycling items have changed. A list of what items are recyclable is listed below and may also be found on the website. NOTE – GLASS IS NOT ALLOWED.
A note from Danny Lippard at BSS, “I would like to say we are a family owned and operated business serving over 40,000 commercial and residential customers in Iredell and surrounding counties for more than 60 years. We are not a large, national company who doesn’t care about their customers; we take great pride in what we do. Buyouts are the most difficult situations that we deal with and we understand customers do not always like change, but it is a necessity we often face in our industry. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me directly.”
Architectural Change Committee (AChC) Approvals
As a reminder, in efforts to maintain the overall appearance of our neighborhood, any changes to the exterior of your property must be approved by the Architectural Change Committee. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Tree removal
- One of the most common requests which ALWAYS requires approval.
- Most approvals take 7-10 days; HOWEVER, if the tree removal is an emergency, approvals can be obtained same day (notify Hawthorne Management accordingly when submitting request).
- Requests involving trees within the lake setback (50 FT from lake), must go through Duke Energy by submitting a Construction Application, available on the Duke Energy website at https://www.duke-energy.com/community/lakes/services/permits-shoreline-activities.
- Landscaping projects
- The addition or modification of a pool or patio area
- Any modification or addition to your home that changes the original foot print
- Tree removal
There are no charges to submit Change Requests through the AChC and the form is easy to fill out. Simply click the following link to access the online form http://thepointatlkn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/ArchitecturalLandscapeChangeRequestForm-Fillable.pdf
When purchasing property with a pier, the buyer must take action to transfer the pier into new ownership. The permit transfer process is initiated by submitting a Construction Application, available on the Duke Energy website at https://www.duke-energy.com/community/lakes/services/permits-shoreline-activities.
Please keep in mind that criminals look for easy targets and other potential advantages particularly on holiday weeks/ times when many people travel. Please keep your doors locked at all times, park vehicles in the garage or keep the doors locked, do not leave valuables in your vehicle, and keep garage doors closed, even during the day. If you have a home security system, turn it on when you are gone and also at night along with outdoor lights. Also, secure loose items on any boats or docks.
Emergencies, Non-Emergencies and Reporting a Crime
If you have a fire, medical or life-threatening emergency call 911. For all Sheriff, Fire or EMS non-emergencies call 704-878-3100. This is the direct line to dispatch and is the best number to call for the quickest response.
Next Board Meeting
Our next Board meeting will be held at 9:00 AM on October 15, 2019. If you wish to address the Board with relevant issues that apply to our community, please contact our management company at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-377-0114 by October 8th.